Thursday, October 16, 2008

look what the brits can do that we can't

Last night I was watching this...


(I heart Ever After) and I was reminded of a recent conversation between myself and my gal pal Lula. Topic of Discussion: English Accents Slaughtered By American Actors.

Now, I love me some Drew Barrymore. She was Gertie in ET for crying out loud, and she may very well have been the first and only 5 year old in big screen history to utter the words "penis-breath" to her older brother. But that's neither here nor there. The fact of the matter is...she stinks at talking like a Brit.

Terrible English Accent #2 -

Kevin Costner in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves

He vacillated between an American accent and a PITIFUL English accent in the first 15 minutes and then just threw in the towel on the English accent all together.

Lula's contributions to this critique include this lovely Oscar winner...

However, according to Lula, Gwyneth's accent in "Emma" stunk. I have nothing to contribute to this because I have not seen the movie. I'll side with Lula though, cause she's right about everything.

Lula also says that this guy, Gerard Butler, did a terrible British accent in "Nim's Island", another movie I haven't seen.


I'll take her word for it.

I think the best British accent I ever heard was the one I did during a phone call to my parents in 2001. It may have helped a little that I was standing in one of these...in London.

My sister's accent on the other hand was more reminiscent of Kevin Costner's, only once she strayed away from the British accent, she traveled farther east, to the land of Apu (the Kwik-E-Mart clerk on the Simpson's) - that would be India. Oh yes she did. She transitioned from a British accent to an Indian accent. FLAWLESSLY.

So American's can't do British accents, but can the British execute American "accents"?

Let's examine some evidence...

Christian Bale

He turned out a New Yorker's accent in Newsies, and a fabulously sexy voice as Batman. I know I've seen him in other stuff, but that's 2 good performances. Drew? Kevin? No comments? Didn't think so.

Let's move on shall we? We shant forget our dear friend Edward Cullen, played by Brit Robert Pattinson. Flawless American accent. Flawless skin too. I wonder if he uses Noxema?


And then we have my favorite Brit turned grumpy doctor...

I'm really liking this picture. Ahem...anyway, Hugh Laurie who plays "House". His American accent is soooo good that when I see interviews with him speaking with a British accent I think he's bluffing. Yes, his American accent is really that good.

So to sum up our findings...Americans should just stick to what they're good at...American accents, or in my case...sound effects and leave the English to the Brits.

74 coins in my pocket:

oº˚ Homeschool Mom˚ºo said...

Stopping by from BATW to say Hi! Love your blog -- Much Love

Anissa

{oc cottage} said...

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Too funny! Have you ever seen Band Of Brothers? 99.9% of the cast are British...James McAvoy, Damien Lewis, etc, yet their "American" accents are perfect! You are so right about "Emma" ...ick!
Yes, we should just stick to American accents!

Cheerio dearie!

M ^..^

Tracy P. said...

Hear me shouting "Surprise!" in my very best British accent! Here for layover day! ;-)

Briana said...

LOL what a cool post. Explain to me how British singers can sing in perfect english but sound completely different when talking. I never got that!

MsTypo said...

Excellent random Newsies reference!! :) One of the best British accents out there would have to be (the painfully hot-tastic) James Marsters as Spike in BtVS. During the show's run several people accused actual Brit, Anthony Stewart Head (Giles) of faking and recommended that he listen more carefully to "real Brit" James.

Louise | Italy said...

Thanks for a.) "Always a woman", which I haven't heard in decades. and b.) for that amazing pic of Hugh Laurie. I always think of him as a buffoon, but this really is a change. Ahem really does cover it! BUT I don't think you're right about Gwynneth Paltrow. Her English accent was so good in Sliding Doors (the first thing I saw her do) I thought she was a Brit. And that's a compliment coming from a Brit (in exile). Love the blog! Louise

Gina said...

Haha! We snuck up on you from BATW!
I'm going to totally skip this post because, really, it's escapism- who cares how bad the accent.
We always had dogs and goldfish. Living on a farm we also had mousing cats who lived outside- or in the pump house if they could figure out how to get in...
On cold winter evenings they would crawl up into the engine of the car to warm up. We lost a few that way. We also lost them to cyotes, mountain lions, eagles...
We stopped naming them. One finally made it for a year. He was #13 so we named him Lucky. Shortly after we named him he ate a mouse that was already scheduled to die- havung just come from an appointment with Dr. DeCon. Apparently, lucky wasn't too lucky. We stopped naming them again...


OOOH, and good music.

Anonymous said...

LOL! You're so right - we always have a good laugh when Americans try to do British accents... Somehow, it is so much easier for us Brits to do an American accent.

And have you noticed that in American films, all the baddies have British accents!?

Why is that? Sour grapes, perhaps..

Came here on tour from BATW.

The Farmer Files said...

Much aloha from Hawaii! Ohhh I love Dr. House. We have watched every episode since the first season. I do miss the days when it was Cameron, Chase, and Foreman as the diagnostic team.

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

Surprise! here from BATW. I despise bad accents as well. Drives me crazy.

Trish said...

The worst American trying to fake a British accent hands down is the soon to be ex Mrs Guy Richie. It drives me nuts to her her talk like that!

I totally just laughed my hiney off at your sound effects post!! The bad part about that is that it is 4am here and I think I just woke up one of the boys.
I blame you!

Happy Layover!

Anonymous said...

Stopping by on a layover!

You had be laughing pretty hard at this post!

Dawn said...

Surprise!! Stopping by on a BATW layover!! Have a great day!

Debbie said...

Oh Caroline...I am so glad you linked that sound effects post. And you didn't even know we were stopping by!

This post is so dead on...You hit all the AC-TORS that have horrible accents...and like Trish said, Madonna is the worst. Sad part is that she's not acting.

Stacey Cannon said...

Hello from BATW! I soooo agree with you! Why Americans can't figure out the accents is beyond me, but they should NOT keep trying :). Have a fabulous day!!

Aunt Julie said...

But Gwyneth is half-Brit, isn't she? I know I loved her accent and her role in Shakespeare in Love. What a great flick...but I might be "dating" myself here. I also object to lousy Southern (as in the American Southland) accents. I think Drew has done a few; also, Julia Roberts, which I don't quite understand, since she's from GA, Lula's neck o' the woods.! Hope you enjoy your day in the BATW spotlight!

Lula! said...

OK...the person who mentioned James Marsters as Spike--GENIUS! He is one American who has mastered the art of Brit speak. Spot on!

I should've specified a bit better...Gerard is Scottish, but he does both Scottish and American in Nim's Island. (Plays two roles.) And he sucks at an American one.

Sorry. My fault.

I still think Gwyneth sucks in Emma. And Madonna, the now former-Mrs. Ritchie? Oh, please...she is such a nerd.

But dude...you know how I feel about some Christian, Rob, and Hugh...those boys are pure genius, man. PURE GENIUS.

Great post--you famous gal.

Becky W said...

That is great!!!! Happy layover day from BATW!!!

Lauren W said...

Hahaha! The BBC actually did ran an article recently about this exact same thing, and they totally agree with you. I actually didn't even know that Hugh Laurie is British until I read that article.
Anyway... have a happy day!

Melissa Lester said...

I hope you are OK with southern accents, because I have got that one down! And a lot of actors have trouble pulling that one off, too. And it's distracting to listen when it's not right.

I have thought the same thing about Hugh Laurie. He does a great job. I love that show!

Caution/Lisa said...

Greetings from Detroit! We were just talking about Dr. House last night. His American accent is great, but I don't understand why he has to use it. They surely have other accents on the show. Truth is, though, he can speak with any accent he likes and I will listen.

BBB said...

You wanna hear a mean English accent, have a listen to Essie when she gets going... not bad for a girl born in Tennessee, who lived in California for 3 years.. and MInnesota for 5.... and now North Carolina...

Totally fer sure ya-betchya, y'all.

Sooz said...

Crashing in from BATW...I absolutely agree with you on Hugh Laurie in "House". He's one of my favorite actors.

Aw I'd have to disagree on Gerard Butler in "Nim's Island". He's Scottish, so I think he hid the lilt in his voice well enough. But then maybe I was just so distracted by those eyes of his that I just wasn't paying attention :).

Lynda said...

Surprise from BATW! Oh, don't forget Renee Zelleweger being Bridget Jones...she did pretty good for a girl from Katy, Texas :-)

taratoons said...

Surprise! Loved your post! Hope you have a great day!

Karin said...

Just sneaking a peek here from Canada, eh! Nice blog! Enjoy your BATW day.

Desi said...

O_O Lovely post. Tons of eye candy.

I love Gerard Butler's accent regardless of the part he's playing. -squee-

Hugh Laurie's accent was GREAT in 101 Dalamatians... rwor.

Jennifer P. said...

i am so happy you linked your sound effect video---and I hope EVERYONE watches it :)!!! Hilarious!!!

I don't think I noticed Drew Barrymore's accent, but I picked out the the bad one pulled out by Gwyneth for sure! Charlize Theron and Nicole Kidman also do fabulous jobs at covering up their accents.

Have a great BATW day ;)!

Susie said...

Congratulations on your BATW feature. I hope your enjoy your surprise day in the sun:-)I agree with you on Hugh. His accent is dead on!

Heather said...

I heart ever after as well! Great flick:)

Stephanie Wetzel said...

Love the accent discussion! The best/worst British accent I think I've heard came from my 7yo daughter after we'd been in London for two days. For some reason, she just started copying everyone. TOTALLY embarrassed her big brother.

Stopping by on the BATW.
Steph

Me (aka Danielle) said...

Clicking over from BATW! I enjoyed this post! Its true..we should leave the Brit accents to well, the Brits.

Breanne said...

Stopping by from BATW.

LOL - I have never thought about that. I guess we are not so good at the accents. I can not wait to see how Edwards accent is.

Betty said...

Just here to wish you a great day! We don´t get these shows in Paraguay, but I so wish we would!

Cant Hardly Wait said...

House is a Brit!? News to me!

Surprise from Louisiana! Love your blog! You're so funny!

Elena said...

Happy BATW layover day! This was too funny. I think Minnie Driver does a great American accent too.

Aubrey said...

Now that you mention it.... LOL
I never thought about that before. What do you think about Renee Zellwiger's accent as Bridget Jones? I hated it! But I love the movies anyway!!

"The Queen in Residence" said...

How could I not come over and say - Howdy Girl. Enjoy your BATW day!!! I am so glad that you linked the sound effects post. I talked about it on the BATW comment as one of the best. That is my all time favorite of yours and if you have tracking capability you saw that me and the kids played it over and over and over again... It made our week. So I am off again to watch and laugh.
You are the best lady. Have a great weekend!!!

Heathahlee said...

I totally agree, but then, are you really paying attention to Kevin's accent in "Robin Hood"?

I thought Robin Wright Penn's accent in "The Princess Bride" was pretty good, though. One out of a gajillion?

Along with this thought process, let me add that non-Southern people (particularly in Hollywood), stink at true Southern accents. And you can tell who's got the real thing (like Matthew McConaughey) and who doesn't. Lak ah sayd, yew kin jist tael.

Unknown said...

Hi! I'm visiting from BATW. I just joined today. :) Your blog is beautiful. I had just a blog makeover and it makes me happier to go there now.

I love the movie Ever After and have owned it for many years now. I do agree though, the accent has to go. ha!

Well, I just thought I'd say hi! Come and pay me a visit at
www.lynnettekraft.blogspot.com

Have a lovely day.
Lynnette

sassy stephanie said...

B-ingATW! Man is that Hugh Laurie YUM-MY!

EmmaP said...

i totally agree with you on Hugh Laurie! Flawless American Accent!!! Flawless! there are a few others that are pretty good, but you can still tell. Matthew Ryhs (From Brothers & Sisters) does pretty good too, though I don't really watch the show anymore. I have noticed that Australians have a harder time with the American Accent, like Rachel Griffiths for example. A few of her words have just a hint of aussie in them.

Alicia @ Oh2122 said...

Surprise! It's like 100+ bloggers just showed up at your door!

I am in total agreement about accent mangling. Jeff Bridges in Blown AAway is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

You don't sound like you're from Boston, Jeff. You just sound like you're drunk.

I Love Purple More Than You said...

Ha... I love when Debbie surprises people!!!

Wasn't Gerard Butler trying to sound American in Nim's Island? I agree his accent was horrible.

But... James Marsters (AKA Spike on Buffy the Vampire Slayer) did rock the British Accent. I know Lula agrees!

I did hear (from my hubby) that Robert Pattinson's American accent is really good. Can't wait to hear more of it!!!

Lady Dorothy said...

Surprise greetings from BATW! (I know it's not much of a surprise when there are at least 44 comments before me!)

I am so bad at accents that I try hard not to say anything when someone else tries. I try, but sometimes.......my husband's fake accents usually sound Chinese! LOL

Joy said...

My kids love doing "Simon Cowell" accent all the time. My oldest daughter is actually pretty good at it. I'm with you on the fake accents though. Coming by to say "HALLOW" (in my best British accent) from Texas.
Love, Joy

Anonymous said...

Loved your post about he Brit-accents. Very fun to read. I read through some of your posts and...you're a funny lady:). Love your selection of music, makes it relaxing to visit here.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I see your avatar all over the place. And I am so glad that we are having this layover so that I can do a proper visit.

I love this post. And even with Kevin's horrid accent - I love that movie. Well...maybe I just love Alan Rickman's character. And Ever After was so fun. And Gerard...yum.

Darcy @ m3b said...

Well I was going to shout "surprise" but I think all the other BATWers gave away our surprise entrance.

Perhaps if I do it in a Scottish accent like Mike Meyers?

"Suhr-prrrise!"

*waves from Iowa*

You're funny. I really enjoyed your blog.

Darcy aka The Janitor

Wendy said...

Great post...and surprise (well, okay, not really at this point) from another BATWer.

I'm lovin' the Hugh Laurie picture -- we've been fans of his since Blackadder and Jeeves and Wooster. He's great in House, too.

Love your blog!

Vicki said...

I thought Gwyneth was very good in Shakespeare In Love. She as also good in Sliding Doors. I haven't seen Emma.

I agree about Drew. Although I love Everafter I just wish she wouldn't have tried.

My British neighbor said Renee Zelweger (sp?) was spot on in Bridget Jone's Diary an I didn't think so. So maybe we Americans aren't the best judges...or, at least me.

I must agree with you also about Hugh Laurie. I absolutely loved him in the Jeeves and Wooster series done by A&E. So when I saw House the very first time I was speechless as to how perfect his American accent is.

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

Sorry....hubs can't do anything about the peanuts and pops. That would be the airline. Heck he works for the government FAA and we don't even get a break in the price on an airline ticket!!
Thanks for stopping by my BATW yesterday! I'm so overwhelmed with all the comments. whew.

Shell said...

Surprise BATW day. Hey, my sweetie pie Gerard Butler's accent wasn't all that bad in Nim's Island. Kevin Costner's accent in Robin Hood did really suck. And I never knew Christian Bale wasn't American until three years ago. When I heard him talk on an awards show.Accents are challenging for some actors. Not everyone can do them.

Michelle said...

Funny, I never knew Hugh Laurie was British. I think you've got a point. And yeah... Drew was horrid in Ever After (although I do love that movie). And Christian Bale, too? Huh.

Melissa B. said...

Accents? ACCENTS? We don't need no stinkin' accents! Sorry...just channeling a little Humphrey Bogart for a second. I love, Debbie & BATW, don't you?

Anonymous said...

What about Renee Zellweger. I think she did a cool British accent in Bridget Jones but somehow lost her tough in Beatrix Potter.

As a brit its interesting to see what you say about Hugh Lawrie. I've loved him from the early days and can't get enough of House.

Hope you enjoy you unexpected influx of visitors from BATW.

Anonymous said...

Hello, coming in for a surprise visit from BATW. Great Post.

CaraBee said...

The first time I heard Hugh Laurie speak in his native accent, I almost fell over, his American accent is so convincing. I have to say, though, that Gerard Butler is so hot that he could talk through a kazoo and I'd still love him.

Rebecca said...

This is just because I am from Alabama, but what irks me more is when people have fake southern accents. It just makes my skin crawl to hear someone trying to fake what we down here in the south do naturally.
And I love Hugh Laurie!!! Thanks for the pic of him to look at. :)

Kelsey said...

Hi! Just found you from BATW.

okay I agree with you mostly but you HAVE to give Renee Zellwegger a thumbs up for her performance of a british accent in "Bridget Jones' Diary"...she NAILED it!

Denyse said...

Love your blog layout. So funny. I didn't know Hugh Laurie was a Brit!

Joyfulsister said...

Helloo...
From BATW.. Love the music *smile* and enjoyed reading your post today!!
I too wonder how one can sing and never sound like they have any accent lol.

illahee said...

surprise!!

congrats on the layover. :D

Heather said...

I couldn't agree more. Kevin Costner in Robin Hood was downright PAINFUL.

Julie said...

Sorry I am a little late... loved the post and I agree...it is a bit odd. But I thought Renee Zweileger did great in Bridget Jones Diary....

The Me/ The Wife/ The Mom said...

Love the post! Adorable blog site!
Ok...about Gerard Butler....and someone may have already told you....I haven't read ALL the comments...but...Gerard Butler is Scottish....his English accent is pretty darn good :) So is his Irish accent...(P.S. I love you) and his come hither accent with his eyes...err...anyway...I agree..Hugh Laurie is fabulous and I love his English/American accent the best! He wins! So do you! Fun post!

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Too funny! :) I came over from BATW, and must say that I *heart* Christian Bale! Mainly because he was Laurie in Little Women! What gal doesn't wish Jo had picked him?! And he did the American accent very well :).

Laural Out Loud said...

This is great!

After living in London for a few months, I would start speaking in an English accent without thinking about it. It was good enough to fool most Americans, but not the Brits.

Sarah said...

Don't shame me like that. I don't have your gift for accents and sound effects!

Ronnica said...

I love Ever After! And you SHOULD see Emma, it's great too.

Your comment about Hugh Laurie made me laugh.

Melissa said...

omg, 70 comments? you're such a comment junkie. anyway, terrific post. very funny. and hugh laurie looks too much like my dad to think he's hot. but he does have a fabulous american accent. have you ever seen him on jeeves and wooster on pbs? from back in the day? funny stuff. you'd like it.

Melissa said...

I'm so mad, because my first comment didn't come through. I would have to say the shocker of all Brits playing an American was the leading man in Tyler Perry's "Daddy's Little Girls". i had nooooooo clue he was british until I watched the DVD extras. His name is Idris Elba. H.O.T. Yes siree. Really believable!!! Hugh Laurie is still and will always be my favorite Brit. "Little Hi, Little Lo, Little Hey, Little Ho!"

Sissy said...

The funny thing about Drew Barrymore and Ever After and the British accent is that that movie takes place in France. Seriously.

Gwyneth's accent is pretty flawless now. Check her out in Sliding Doors...awesome.

Anonymous said...

Holy Moses, 73 comments! The Brits definitely rock the American accent. I wonder if the Brits critique their own differently, though?