Monday, March 16, 2009

bad words...according to kindergartners

You know how when you are little, there are certain "bad words" that you're not allowed to breathe for fear of getting your mouth washed out?

Words like "stupid", "shut-up", "darn it", etc.

When I was in kindergarten I often went to play with my little friend Claire who lived in our neighborhood. One day I came home in tears and the conversation went as follows:

Me: "Mom, I didn't want to do it. I really didn't, but Claire made me say it."

Mom: "Caroline, what did Claire make you say?"

Me: "I can't tell you - it's too bad. It's a bad word."

Mom: "Caroline, you can tell me...just tell me."

Me: "I didn't want to do it mom, I just didn't, but she made me say it."

Mom: "WHAT DID YOU SAY?"

Me: (in tears) "She made me say...Oh God!"


I wish I could say that's the worst thing I've ever said.

In other things funny, little Caroline told me a "bad word" the other day. She and I were petting my dog Lijah and she mentioned the movie "Marley and Me". I asked her if she had seen it and she said yes ( I thought this was a more grown-up movie) and that I wouldn't like it because of the ending. (Spoiler Alert) I asked her if the dog died in the movie and she said yes and that it was sad. (End of Spoiler Alert) She also mentioned there were lots of bad words in the movie and proceeded to mouth one that I couldn't quite understand. I said..."What?", and she reluctantly said in a hushed voice - "Sexy."

So, there you have it. Ranking up there with all the other "real" four-letter words are "Oh God" and "Sexy".

I'm just trying to help you keep it clean.

7 coins in my pocket:

Swirl Girl said...

I wish my kids considered that the worst word they could say.

It's a good thing your kids don't hang out with mine...

Tracy P. said...

Bethany had a little spell of having to purge her habits of OMGod. It was good for her to be reminded that we always have his attention! ;-)

Melissa said...

Michael came home from school one day and said that he got in trouble at school because someone told on him for saying the "s" word. I was so shocked that he knew that word! I kept asking myself where he would have heard it. Well, I finally decided to ask him what the word he said was. It was "Shut up....."

They can be so innocent.

Melissa said...

that's so funny. i know i'm starting to hear little things come out a little bit and i'm wondering when a big one's gonna drop. usually i'm the one in trouble. river says, "Mommy, it's not nice to say stupid." i think to myself, it's a lot better than ____! ;)

Brindi said...

Taught 3rd grade for a year - I was very educated after I left - They would appoach me and say that so and so said the S word - shut up or stupid, the b word - butt, the f word - fart.

John Deere Mom said...

There are certain "bad words" my kids in school aren't allowed to say like shut up, freaking, gay, etc. I had a really difficult class one year that kept saying them all.the.time. So I made them write all the inappropriate words they had been using on a sheet of toilet paper for us to flush away. From that point on they weren't allowed to say the "potty words" or they were in trouble. As I walked around the room, I saw lots of "crap" "shut up" "stupid", etc. written down. Then I got to one boy. One very special boy. I looked at what he had written and saw the ACTUAL D, F, and S words. Hello!!! I guess I should have explained it a bit better!

BBB said...

LOL... I love the drama of it all :)